Babymoon: a vacation taken by a couple that is expecting a baby in order to allow the couple to enjoy a final trip together before the many sleepless nights that usually accompany a newborn baby.
As has been our tradition for the past few years, we just got back from our spring break/anniversary/babymoon trip (the last descriptor is obviously new as of this year). We went to Monterey, California this time to thaw out from the Logan winter. We got to see the
Monterey Bay Aquarium, Cannery Row, Old Fisherman’s Wharf, Carmel-by-the-sea, and Big Sur.
Things we learned on our trip:
Towns in Nevada were either all named by J.R.R. Tolkien, twelve year old boys, or Google’s
captcha generator. (i.e. Golconda, Valmy, Beowawe, and Elburz) The best rest stops along the I-80 corridor between Salt Lake City and the west coast are in Donner Pass, CA; Colfax, CA; and Tooele/Grantsville, UT. The worst were in Nevada. We tried most of them.
If I lived on the ocean, I would have a pet otter.
We should only eat sustainable seafood. Halibut is sustainable seafood. Yum.
always ways around paying for parking. If I was a cow I would rather live at Big Sur than the rest stop in Winnemucca, NV.
95% of California is shopping malls and freeways. The other 5% is worth seeing. Below you can see some of that 5%.
Jellyfish at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
Another jellyfish at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
A herd of jellyfish at the Monterey Bay Aquarium
Dragon seahorse – cool huh?
Leafy seahorse – also cool.
Noel @ Lovers Point – sounds romantic, but it actually stands for Lovers of Jesus 🙂
Audrey’s feet were grateful for the bike and got her a couple of double-takes from others
Audrey with her flower from the fancy-pants restaurant we ate at one night.
We tried to get him to pose with other people’s dogs since that’s what everyone else was doing.
Audrey and baby at the ocean
Beautiful pic on the coast.
Us on the coast.
Great sign – “Danger: Unstable Cliffs, Stay Back”
It’s a shame there was no reasonable way to get there and too many signs forbidding it.
Us posing by the waterfall
Ladybug nesting on Audrey’s belly (AKA Cooper’s home)
Look close, the sausage shapes on the rocks are seals.
Apparently the seals get a big kick out of people watching – can you blame them?
Coastal pic with lighhouse.
A view from the car of the famous Golden Gate bridge.
Another view from our car.
San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge.
The flower’s home in the car. The center console is also known as the “comfort station.”
Art(?) in the middle of the salt flats.
Now that we no longer have mountains of homework to do, Noel and I have decided to become less boring. Our first activity: The Cache Valley Bike Festival. Aggie Blue Bikes (this group on campus that checks out bikes like a library does books) put on the event. They had free general bike tune-ups and I learned that my bike is in great shape (my father would be proud) and Noel’s bike . . . well let’s just say he’s probably gotten more use out of his. While we were there we also participated in the “Slow Bike” contest where the person who takes the longest to cross the finish line without touching the ground wins, as well as the bike toss where we got to chuck this really old bike (kind of like a discus, but better). We didn’t win any prizes, but we got some great footage of the festivities.